Re: [HACKERS] Features list

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: darcy(at)druid(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Features list
Date: 1998-10-26 09:53:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> > > When someone uses PRIMARY in table creation, why don't we just plop
> > > something in the field?
> >
> > Well, that would be the "completion" of the facility. Also, we should
> > fill in the proper values in the system catalogues. The latter is probably
> > easy but the former rewuires mucking with the table creation code. I don't
> > think it is a lot of work but perhaps not something to start now.
> >
> > In any case, we're past the freeze, right?
>
> I hesitate to add a mention that we have a field for primary key, while
> we do nothing with it.
>
> This was brought up, but post-freeze, and since it was totally new,
> could not be added.

I've seen the relfkeys too and have something in mind for
FOREIGN KEY for 6.5. 6.5 will be the comeback of attribute
rules and I think that foreign key checks and the like
(including ON DELETE CASCADE) could get implemented using
rules.

Let's pick it up after 6.4 is out.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #