Re: [HACKERS] Rules: first fix on monday

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: stuporg(at)erols(dot)com (Stupor Genius)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, emkxp01(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Rules: first fix on monday
Date: 1998-08-19 09:35:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > We could add another column to "pg_rewrite" which contained the
> > source for the rule. This could be used by pg_dump to dump the
> > rule creation statement, or by the user to see what the rule
> > actually does.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Adding a column will take away from the already-tight space needed
> to keep the plan.
>
> [...]
>
> darrenk

The limited space for the querytrees and event qualification
is really a problem, that we should fix. And since we now
really support multiple action rewrite rules, it will become
more important.

I had something different in mind to make the space
unlimited. I could add an Oid field to pg_rewrite, pointing
to an extension record.

If a rule does not fit into one tuple, it is splitted into
multiple ones in rewriteDefine.c. All the extension tuples
have the event realtion set to the invalid Oid value to not
get fired everywhere.

I don't think that reading some extension records is too much
overhead compared against the rewrite work and the actions,
those MONSTER-rules will result in.

Comments?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #