Re: [HACKERS] cidr

From: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (The Hermit Hacker), vixie(at)vix(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] cidr
Date: 1998-07-21 04:20:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> Paul, yes, I have seen this address style on several machines, and I
> understand it supersede the class A,B,C addresses by allowing arbitrary
> netmasks.

Exactly.

> We can call it cidr. That is fine. I was just concerned that if we put
> it in contrib, that people who have never heard of cidr, like me, can
> recognize the usefulness of the type for their applications.

CIDR is getting to be pretty well known. Most people who need the type
should understand it.

> Also, I would assume we can handle old-style non-cidr address just as
> cleanly, so both cidr and non-cidr can use the same type and functions.

Yes. The old class system is just 3 special cases (Well, 4 really) of
CIDR.

> Yes, I agree, this is a HOT type, and should be installed in the default
> system. Contrib is for testing/narrow audience, and this type certainly
> should be mainstream. This is the third generation of the type, with a
> wide audience. int8 is also coming into the main tree via Thomas.

I missed some of the earlier discussion. Is there going to be a separate
IP type or is that just x.x.x.x/32? I like the idea of a host type as
well. I would love to sort my IPs and have 198.96.119.99 precede
198.96.119.100.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves