Re: [HACKERS] pg_user "sealed"

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pg_user "sealed"
Date: 1998-02-23 20:01:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc wrote:

> Okay...
>
> I've modified initdb.sh so that ALL is revoked from pg_user, with
> a view being created to look into it for usename and usesysid, which are
> required by psql...
>
> This gets it so that psql works for \d
>
> I tried to do a rewrite rule on db_user such that password would
> become '*********', but that does't appear to work?
>
> Reports of any problems associated with any of the pg_ system
> tables, please let me know

Since you changed ACL_WORLD_DEFAULT to ACL_NO too, there are
now problems on \d <table> (pg_attribute: Permission denied).
And thus I expect more problems. I think users should have
SELECT permission on non-critical system catalogs by default.

But I don't think that setting explicit GRANT's on all the
system catalogs is a good thing. Due to the ACL parsing I
would expect some loss of performance.

So if the relname is given to acldefault() in
utils/adt/acl.c, it can do a IsSystemRelationName() on it and
return ACL_RD instead of ACL_WORLD_DEFAULT.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #