Re: Inside the Regex Engine

From: david(at)fetter(dot)org (David Fetter)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inside the Regex Engine
Date: 2003-12-04 19:42:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> david(at)fetter(dot)org (David Fetter) writes:
>> While PL/Perl is great, it's not available everywhere, and I'd like
>> to be able to grab atoms from a regex match in, say, a SELECT. Is
>> there some way to get access to them?
>
> There's a three-parameter variant of substring() that allows
> extraction of a portion of a regex match --- unfortunately it uses
> SQL99's brain-dead notion of regex, which will not satisfy any Perl
> weenie :-(
>
> I think it'd be worth our while to define some comparable
> functionality that depends only on the POSIX regex engine ...

What pieces of the source code would be involved?

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100 cell: +1 415 235 3778

Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
woman she meets and then teams up with three complete strangers
to kill again.
Marin County newspaper's TV listing for The Wizard of Oz