public schema owner for newly created database

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: public schema owner for newly created database
Date: 2014-04-08 10:45:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I usually create new databases with an explicit owner which is the "application user" that is used by the application to connect to the database.

I recently noticed when I do the following:

postgres=# create user arthur identified by 'secret';
postgres=# create database guide owner = arthur;

Then when running \l I do see that the new database is owned by arthur.

However wenn I connect to the database and use \dn I see that the public schema is owned by "postgres" (the user that was used to create the database).

Due to the default privileges on the public schema this isn't really a problem and I can always change the owner for the schema anyway.

But I would have expected the owner of the database to be the owner of any "object" that is created during database initialization.

Do I have a wrong assumption here?

Regards
Thomas