Re: [GENERAL] Problem connecting NT-psqlODBC to Linux-PostgreSQL

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: postgresql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problem connecting NT-psqlODBC to Linux-PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-09-07 11:10:08
Lists: pgsql-general

At 12:37 +0200 on 07/09/1999, Teodor Cimpoesu wrote:

> Second, hmm, your port is 113 but I know the default is 5432.
> If nobody is listening to a port where you are trying to connect, you
> get the same respone (connection refused).

No, you got that wrong. Port 113 is on the CLIENT side. It goes like this:

* NT tries to connect to port 5432 on Postgres server

* The pg_hba.conf defines the authentication for this client as
"ident"

* Therefore Postgres server tries to connect to the ident server on
the NT. This is done through port 113 on the NT

* Postgres doesn't find anybody on the NT listening to that port.
That means no ident server is running on the NT.

* Connection is therefore refused because user could not be
authenticated.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.