Re: Regarding NOTIFY

From: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regarding NOTIFY
Date: 2012-04-09 09:03:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2012-03-09, Bret Stern <bret_stern(at)machinemanagement(dot)com> wrote:
> We have a concrete batching application composed of two parts.
> 1. The Monitor.
> The Monitor cycles every 60 seconds, and looks into a Postgresql table
> for jobs to run. Primarily these jobs update Postgresql tables with
> data from external applications.
>
> 2. The Client.
> The client schedules orders etc.
>
> When a new product or customer is added to the Accounting or Batching
> Controller (both external applications; and databases) the Client user
> clicks a button and adds a job to run on the Monitor.
>
> Is it possible use the NOTIFY event to serve more like an interrupt,
> and trigger the Monitor to run immediately.

Reasonably immediately.

> Can it be used with VB? or Should I use LibPQ?

I used libpq with VB6 when I needed this feature 3 years ago.

I had to write a little DLL to wrap the libpq calls so that VB could
call them (actually I repackaged the wrapper that the main application uses)

> If this is the wrong list for these questions, let me know?

what language are you really using? VB is kind of vague it could mean
.net (lots of people say VB when they mean .net, makes it hard to get
questions about VB answered)

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural