Re: Patch for PKST timezone

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Aftab Hussain <aftab(dot)se(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch for PKST timezone
Date: 2010-05-11 21:38:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> I don't think we want to include all timezone names in the default
> config, timezone abbreviations aren't always unique for example. But we
> should include PKST because we already include PKT; it would be nasty
> for an application to work during winter, and stop working when the
> daylight saving time begins.

I agree with everything Heikki says. As the original author of the
timezone files I guess that I am to blame for not having included PKST
in the first place. However I have the excuse that it was like that
already back when the timezone information was still hardcoded, we had
"pkt" but not "pkst":

http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/datetime.c?rev=1.168;content-type=text%2Fx-cvsweb-markup

Good we have found that inconsistency now, so let's add PKST.

I also agree with not adding more than necessary to the default config
set. Given that so few people complain about it we seem to have a good
working default set already.

Joachim