Moving from SQL Anywhere to PostGres - First Time

From: "Robert Paresi" <firstname(at)lastname(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Moving from SQL Anywhere to PostGres - First Time
Date: 2011-01-20 16:37:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

We have 700 user install base using Sybase SQL Anywhere 9.02

We are looking at migrating these installations over to PostGres

1. Very Very Short Answer Please - why should we?

2. Does anyone have a utility or migration application to read SQL Anywhere
to go to PostGres

3. Does PostGres handle column descriptions (ie: you can give each column a
50 character description) and then access it via SQL Result Set (like I can
do in Sybase)

4. Is there any Date/TimeStamp issues and conversions I need to know about.
I use simply a DATE field and a TIME field - but do not use DATE/TIME stamp
fields together.

5. What UI/Developer tools (GUI) are available to manage the database as
well as add/change columns rather than doing it via SQL commands.

Thank you.

-Robert