Re: perltidy

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: perltidy
Date: 2010-04-19 16:31:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 18:24, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On mån, 2010-04-19 at 17:02 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> The MSVC scripts currently have a "perltidy coding style" so we run
>> perltidy with a specific set of arguments to format the code. (This is
>> in the README). Kind of like pgindent.
>>
>> Should we be doing this on all the perlscripts we use?
>>
>> And if we do, we should obviously use the same one everywhere -
>> probably just use the one we have for the msvc stuff today. Anything
>> in particular about that one that people hate?
>
> I tried it on create_help.pl and couldn't find a good combination of
> options that I liked.  It either adds too much whitespace or removes too
> much, or both.  Maybe that can be fined tuned.  I wouldn't want to use
> the -bl option; it's not a typical Perl style.

I doubt we're ever going to find a style taht everybody likes. Heck,
everybody certainly don't like our C style. We just need to decide on
one that's good enough and then go with it.

I don't recall exactly why -bl was added to the msvc style, but
probably to make it look more like our C code ;)

I don't care too much exactly *what* we do, but I think we should have
a common style...

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/