Re: Too many postgres.exe

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Too many postgres.exe
Date: 2009-12-15 11:25:29
Lists: pgsql-general

A(dot)Bhattacharya(at)sungard(dot)com, 15.12.2009 10:51:
> Hi All,
>
> I have my application UI in Java and which is communicating with
> Postgresql database.
>
> However whenever my application is running I could see there are too
> many postgres.exe are created even though the application is not doing
> anything in database.
>
> In general the observation is that there are too many progress.exe
> processes get created every time I run my application and it
> postgres.exe eats up the maximum memory.

Define "too many".

Each connection that you open will start up a new postgres.exe

As Craig has already pointed out you have not specified enough details, so people can only guess what is going wrong (if at all)

My best guess is:

- you are simply not closing your connections when you are don
- you have configured a connection pool that creates a high number of initial connections

Thomas