Re: Config help

From: Lew <noone(at)lwsc(dot)ehost-services(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Config help
Date: 2009-11-16 05:38:29
Lists: pgsql-general

John R Pierce wrote:
> I'd keep it around 1-2GB shared_buffers, and let the rest of the memory
> be used as file system cache. postgres works quite happily that way.

From what I understand, database tuning is one of the Dark Arts. PG is
unique in that it's enterprise-grade but that standard settings work well
across a wide range of usage scenarios. If you are dealing with unusually
large numbers of connections and/or unusually large working sets, I'm guessing
as you approach terabyte-scale dbs and up, it pays to go to even larger
shared_buffers and work_mem and do other arcane tuning magic.

--
Lew