Re: problem with pg_restore?

From: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with pg_restore?
Date: 2009-07-23 10:47:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2009-07-14, Jim Michaels <jmichae3(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> --0-1060148048-1247615236=:84835
>
> I am having problems with pg_restore. pg_restore --file=c:\pg-jmichae3-7-13-2009.sql --verbose --host=localhost --port=5432 --username=postgres
>
> this just hangs.
> I am restoring from 8.3.7 to 8.4 - what did I do wrong?

> could somebody rewrite pg_dumpall and pg_dump so that it makes editable dumps?
> most programmer's text editors can't handle more than 2000 characters per line.

any text editor with a line length limit shorter than 1 megabyte is a
liability. that said if you dump as inserts there's probably a way to
use sed to split the long strings and still have a loadable dump.

> and I want to be able to edit my dumps.

I find that jed is powerful, fast, and reasonably easy to use. and had
no problem with 2.3MB lines.

gnome-text-editor ("gedit") handles lines of tens of thousands of
characters OK but seems to have problems displaying million character
lines,

I expect ther big guns "vim" and "emacs" also have no problems with
long lines.