Re: Start With... Connect By?

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Start With... Connect By?
Date: 2009-07-13 06:23:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Philippe Lang, 13.07.2009 08:05:
> Hi,
>
> Now that Postgresql 8.4 has a "WITH RECURSIVE" operator (thanks! :)), is
> there a chance we can see one day "START WITH... CONNECT BY" in
> Postgresql, or is that something 100% oracle-specific?

START WITH is Oracle specific whereas recursive CTEs are an ANSI Standard (supported by PostgreSQL, Firebird and SQL Server).

As far as I can tell anything you can do with CONNECT BY can be done with WITH RECURSIVE (including ORDER SIBLINGS BY), it's just a bit more "noise" because you need to write more stuff (I wish the ANSI standard had adopted the CONNECT BY, it's really very elegant)

Thomas