Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG?

From: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG?
Date: 2009-05-21 12:03:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2009-05-20, Gilles <codecomplete(at)free(dot)fr> wrote:
> At 10:58 20/05/2009, Craig Ringer wrote:
>>I suspect a lot of that comes down to user/admin knowledge as much
>>as anything. [...] That said, there are also a few bugs lurking that
>>only affect the Windows version. [...] I've used Pg on my laptop at
>>various points when it's been running Windows, and found it stable
>>and reliable for my purposes (app dev and testing). [...] Some
>>antivirus scanners must be fully uninstalled, not just told to
>>ignore Pg [...] In short: Virus scanners are *E*V*I*L*. I've seen
>>relatively few issues with recent versions of a few, but most seem
>>to be way more trouble than they're worth unless you do only very
>>simple things on your machine.
>
> Thanks much for the feedback. If customers choose to install the DBMS
> on a Windows server, I'll tell them that it's just not a good idea to
> have an AV running on it, and find other ways to secure it (firewall,
> permissions, etc.)
>
> If some users have been using the native Win32 version of PG in
> production, I'd like to hear how it runs in terms of stability and
> performance. This DBMS is meant to be used in SOHO settings, meaning
> it should be very easy to install, use, and kept up-to-date.

our flagship product "Gymmaster" uses postgresql for the business logic
and integrity checks, all of the business logic, and even some of the
user interface is implemented in the database.

We have perhaps 80 clients 90% of them are using windows based
postgres, the remainder have linux servers, mainly because it's
easier to install our other server processes on them.

The only issue found to date is that postgres doesn't use the windows
Timezone data (I don't think windows has historical timezone data - so
It can't) as a result if the politicians decide to mess with the
daylight savings rules (last time they gave us 4 whole weeks notice)
you need to upgrade the TZ data for your clients, or else suffer time
related business logic being off.