Re: planet "top posters" section

From: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: planet "top posters" section
Date: 2010-04-20 14:33:11
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi!

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> To avoid this issue getting stalled by endless bikeshedding, I have
> applied the version that I think most people agreed upon - or at least
> that fewest disagreed with.
>
> We can keep the discussion going about further changes, of course, but
> at least we have something done now.

Thanks, Magnus :)

The point of the feature was to increase the visibility of all
contributors, not just the ones contributing the most. I think now
that the name I chose for it was not the best.

In general, I favor highlighting individual contribution, and
providing opportunities for hobbyists to be very prominently featured.
The "fairness" issue brought up earlier doesn't register with me,
because the difference between someone who spends their free time
tinkering and someone who can claim a salary during the time that they
are writing a blog post is significant. And I would never claim to put
a greater or lesser value on that. I just want to point out to those
who *can* claim a salary while working on Postgres are in a position
of privilege.

We're all volunteers in some capacity, of course. I hesitate to reduce
the visibility of the smaller (in quantity) contributors, just because
we decided to add the "top posters" listing. In a Selena-run world, I
would not limit the number of items in the 'top posters' list.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work