Fastest way / best practice to calculate "next birthdays"

From: Hannes Dorbath <light(at)theendofthetunnel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fastest way / best practice to calculate "next birthdays"
Date: 2008-05-04 12:29:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

The subject basically says it all, I'm looking for the fastest
(indexable) way to calculate the next birthdays relative to NOW() from a
dataset of about 1 million users.

I'm currently using a function based index, but leap year handling /
mapping February 29 to February 28 gives me some headaches.

Is there any best practice to do that in PostgreSQL?

--
Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath