Re: sequence scan, but indexed tables

From: Cserna Zsolt <csernazs(at)freemail(dot)hu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sequence scan, but indexed tables
Date: 2002-07-22 13:33:54
Lists: pgsql-general

[...]
> Then I'd say the planner is making the right decision.

Yes, the cost is cool, if I turn off enable_hashjoin, I get
a very hight cost. But the runtime is smaller (in a bigger
query, which have around 20 row on output, and 2-3 subselect
and 3-4 join).

> > I have postgresql 7.0.3 running on Debian GNU/Linux i386.
>
> You do realize that version is quite ancient?
So, upgrade is strongly recommended? :) Debian package is
not so good, the backup script doesn't work (in an earlier
debian package). I tried to backup the database (I have
daily backup) before upgrading, but restoring from this was
too hard for me, because the postgres server didn't started
(he/she thinks I haven't got backup :).

Regards, and thank you,

Zsolt