Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4
Date: 2007-12-20 03:17:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> ...I can believe that suitable test cases would show
> 2X improvement for 2 threads,

One other thing I found interesting is that their test case
showed a near 2X improvement for hyperthreading; where I haven't
heard of many other ways to get hyperthreading to show improvements
for postgreql.

> but it doesn't follow that you will get
> 10X improvement with 10 threads, or even 4X with 4.

Yeah - unless those 10 cores have additional I/O to the
memories compared to a 1 core system (which I'd hope
would be the case or else I'd expect many apps would be
run into memory bottlenecks on such systems, no?).