Re: Case-sensitive problem

From: linux_211(at)hotmail(dot)com (igor)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Case-sensitive problem
Date: 2002-06-28 21:16:20
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to migrate MS SQL 6.5 database server to the postgresql
> > database )7.1). I have my program made in Power Builder and this
> > program is working without problems with MS SQL server. But when I
> > tried to change the database to the PostgreSQL I received following
> > errors:
> > 1. The program(Power Builder) is not recognizing more big and small
> > letters (case sensitivity).
> > 2. There is also problem with spaces ,with that is also having
> > PosgreSQL problems.
> >
> > How can I fix that problem with letters? Is there any special way how
> > to build PostgreSQL ,so it is working well with PowerBuilder and
> > especially with small and big letters.
> >
> > The PostgreSQL is running on Linux and PowerBuilder on Windows.
> >
> > Thanks for all your answers
>
> Hi,
>
> sorry, but your description is not very clear. What problems do you have
> exactly?
> For case sensitivity I just know, that MS SQL's behaviour is very
> strange by default. So ('CaseSensiTive' = 'casesENsitiVE' ) would be
> true with MS SQL. But this is obviouliy not true to me (and to
> postgresql too). If this is your problem, you have to test
> ( upper(text1) = upper(text2)).
>
> And for the spaces .. maybe you should check your datatypes.
> If you have an Varchar(5), 'abc' would be stored as 'abc'. But if you
> have a char(5), 'abc' would be stored as 'abc '.

So ,exactly what I am doing is to migrate all database (MS SQL) to the
PostgreSQL server also with the dates. But I am still receiving one
strange problem: When some datatype is defined in MS SQL for example
like username char(15) and the data there is for example:'peter',then
what I receive in PostgreSQL is 'peter ' so exactly 15
characters. When I make SELECT * FROM users where username='peter' I
am not receiving no-one row ,but when I type SELECT * FROM users where
username='peter ' then I receive whole row. The migration tool
which I am using is pgAdmin II and DataBase Migration Wizard ,and
there I defined change type char from MSSQL to char in PostgreSQL.
When I try change char to varchar ,or to text I am still receiving the
same.

Can somebody please help me with that problem?
Thanks a lot