Re: Evaluation of PG performance vs MSDE/MSSQL 2000 (not 2005)

From: "Usama Dar" <munir(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robert Bernabe" <robert_bernabe(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Evaluation of PG performance vs MSDE/MSSQL 2000 (not 2005)
Date: 2007-12-05 09:06:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Dec 5, 2007 1:13 PM, Robert Bernabe <robert_bernabe(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Anyways I'd like to break up this request/begging for help into two parts.
>
> 1) First would be settings of postgresql.conf. Did I do it correctly? The
> sample data is so small....I based my settings on the recommendations
> researched for data centers.

i think this would mainly depend on what do your stored procedures do, are
they writing stuff to the tables, or reading most of the time or something
else? i would imagine with small dataset the postgresql.conf settings should
be ok, but more can be told after looking at the code.

> 2) Code optimization which I plan to start in another email thread since
> the discussions there would be more detailed.

i think that might be a better starting point. What are you trying to do
and how.

> Would it also make sense to optimize (as far as possible) everything
> (including the code) for windows first? The target here would be a linux OS
> but since the discrepancy is so big...the unified Windows OS might be a good
> place to start for now.

Sure, but i am not able to comprehend how the pl/pgsql could contain code
which can tuned OS wise, i would think that any optimization you would do
there in the stored code would apply to all platforms.

--
Usama Munir Dar http://linkedin.com/in/usamadar
Consultant Architect