Re: default_index_tablespace?

From: Kelly Burkhart <kelly(dot)burkhart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alexander M(dot) Pravking" <fduch(at)antar(dot)bryansk(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: default_index_tablespace?
Date: 2005-12-01 17:48:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/1/05, Alexander M. Pravking <fduch(at)antar(dot)bryansk(dot)ru> wrote:

> PostgreSQL 8.0 brought a great tablespaces feature. However, it's still
> a real pain for one who wants to separate tables and indices to different
> tablespaces: he has to do it manually, explicitely specifying tablespace
> for each index.
>
> Thus, I think it would be handy to have "default_index_tablespace" server
> variable. Any thoughts?

We would use such a thing. Our databases use three partitions: log, data,
index. We currently create our databases like:

CREATE DATABASE dbname OWNER owner TABLESPACE tsname;

We then specify another index tablespace on index creation (which really
isn't that difficult).

Adding an INDEX_TABLESPACE option to CREATE DATABASE might be worthwhile if
what we have done is typical. Or if pg maintainers want to suggest this
usage as sensible.

-K