Re: Mail thread references in commits

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Mail thread references in commits
Date: 2016-11-30 16:19:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/30/2016 10:46 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Agreed. I just did my first commit with the shortened URL, and I
> didn't like it. If we want to use URLs, let's use the canonical
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id> format.
>
>> Do we know of an actual length limit that is useful to aim for? If we
>> just make it just a bit shorter but it's still too long for a large
>> class of email readers, depending on the message ID format, then it's
>> not that useful.
>
> Right, we can't control the length of the URL, because it contains the
> message-id, which can be arbitrarily long.

Here is a url with one of the long gmail Message-IDs that I arbitrarily picked out of a recent mail thread:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTHyDYF-FO+fZvxRhz-7_hPTm4RodBcsy9-NoqHvEtc3w@mail.gmail.com

I'll be interested to know if it breaks anyone's MUA. If it doesn't all we will be arguing about are aesthetics, and I'm a firm believer in function over form.

cheers

andrew