Re: parse error at or near "(" -- Huh???

From: Alex Beamish <talexb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: parse error at or near "(" -- Huh???
Date: 2004-12-13 03:43:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:18:00 -0700, Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 03:19:56PM -0500, Alex Beamish wrote:
>
> > I'm getting a frustrating error
> >
> > ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "(" at character 201
> >
> > in a CREATE TABLE statement from an SQL script that I'm running from
> > within a Perl script. When I run the same script from the command
> > line, either as a regular user or as root, it works fine.
>
> Your SQL statements ran fine for me, so please show us a small but
> complete Perl script that duplicates the problem.

Michael, Tom,

Thank you both for your responses .. I discovered that, while I was
editting what I thought was the running script, I was actually running
an earlier (wrong) version extracted a moment earlier from the version
control system, in a paralell directory. This became obvious when I
deleted the offending line and the error remained exactly the same.

However, I am intrigued to find out about the character offset that
appears in the error. How is that calculated? This would be useful
diagnostic information to have in the future.

Thanks!

Alex