TSearch2 memory usage

From: Hannes Dorbath <light(at)theendofthetunnel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: TSearch2 memory usage
Date: 2007-05-21 08:35:39
Lists: pgsql-general

We have a fixed amount of 16 PG backend processes. Once created they
stay forever. OLTP load is distributed over them in a SQF fashion.

As loading a TSearch dictionary takes a few moments, we have a script
that connects to each backend on start up and pushes the dictionary into
ram by simply calling ts_debug('foo');

The dictionary has a file size of 9.8MB.

If we don't call the script `free' prints:

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 4048056 953192 3094864 0 4 359300
-/+ buffers/cache: 593888 3454168

After the script has called ts_debug('foo') on each backend:

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 4048056 2374508 1673548 0 4 370340
-/+ buffers/cache: 2004164 2043892

Is it supposed to blast so much memory?