Re: Major Performance decrease after some hours

From: MaXX <bs139412(at)skynet(dot)be>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major Performance decrease after some hours
Date: 2006-10-01 10:55:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Peter Bauer wrote:
[...]
> There are 10-15 postmaster processes running which use all the CPU power.
> A restart of tomcat and then postgresql results in the same situation.
> Some postgres processes are in DELETE waiting or SELECT waiting.
> VACUUM runs through in just about 1-2 seconds and is run via cron
> every minute and reports that the fsm setting are high enough.

Pure speculation: are you sure you aren't vacuuming too agressively?
The DELETE waiting and SELECT waiting sound to me like they are waiting
for a lock that another vacuum is holding. You've said that you spawn a
vacumm process by cron every minute, that may be fine when the server
isn't too loaded. But when vacuums begins to take longer cron will spawn
more and more vacuums killing your machine.

I'll add a little check in the cron script to see if there isn't already
a vacuum process running or use an idependant script,
while [ 1 ]
do
vacuum --all
sleep 60