Re: error while starting database

From: "Nitin Saxena" <nitinmca05(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Douglas Toltzman" <doug(at)oakstreetsoftware(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error while starting database
Date: 2007-08-18 03:12:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi

All the command such as gives following output;

1: :ls -a/tmp: No such file or directory

2 : "rm -f/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"
bash: rm -f/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432: No such file or directory

3:"ps -ax|grep postgres"
bash: ps -ax|grep postgres: command not found

Does PID in postmaster.pid file is automatically created when we start the
database.

When i am giving command pg_ctl status at root, It is giving error message
as

pg_ctl: No database directory or environment variable $PGDATA is specified

and

When i am giving command pg_ctl status at bash it is giving postmaster is
running

[root(at)imap /root]# su - postgres
bash-2.04$ pg_ctl status
pg_ctl: postmaster is running (pid: 776)
options are:
/usr/bin/postmaster
-p 5432
-D /var/lib/pgsql/data
-B 64
-b /usr/bin/postgres
-i
-N 32

When i am giving command at root directory:

[root(at)imap /root]# pg_ctl stop
pg_ctl: No database directory or environment variable $PGDATA is specified

[root(at)imap /root]# su - postgres
bash-2.04$ pg_ctl stop
/usr/bin/pg_ctl: kill: (776) - No such pid
postmaster successfully shut down.

when i am giving command
bash-2.04$ pg_ctl start
pg_ctl: It seems another postmaster is running. Try to start postmaster
anyway.
FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: No such file or directory
Is another postmaster already running on that port?
If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.
pg_ctl: Cannot start postmaster. Is another postmaster is running?
bash-2.04$ /usr/bin/postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port

when i am giving pg_ctl restart

bash-2.04$ pg_ctl restart
/usr/bin/pg_ctl: kill: (776) - No such pid
Waiting for postmaster shutting
down...............................................................pg_ctl:
postmaster does not shut down

Please tell how to start services in postgres

when i m giving command

[root(at)imap /root]# service postgresql restart
Stopping postgresql service: [FAILED]
Checking postgresql installation: [ OK ]
Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]

Please help ASAP, as i have to up the application as soon as possible

Thanks & Regards:

Nitin Saxena

--
NItin Saxena