Re: .Net support for Visual Studio

From: Edward Diener <eldiener(at)tropicsoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .Net support for Visual Studio
Date: 2006-08-26 22:50:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Francisco Figueiredo Jr. wrote:

> Edward Diener wrote:
>> I manually put versions the MS 1.1 and MS 2.0 of the npgsql.dll in the
>> GAC. When I bring up Visual Studio 2003 ( .net 1.1 ) or Visual Studio
>> 2005 ( .net 2.0 ) and attempt to add the assembly to my Toolbox, it does
>> not show up in the list of assemblies for that version in the GAC. Does
>> anybody know why ?

>> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>>

> Hi Edward!
>
> Currently, Npgsql only supports vs.net 2003 design time support. We
> already have plan for vs2005 support after we release Npgsql 1.0 final.

Actually Npgsql1.0RC3-bin-ms2.0.zip appears to support .net 2.0.

> You will have to add an entry on your registry to make it work. Have a
> look at Npgsql user manual for details:
>
> http://npgsql.projects.postgresql.org/docs/manual/UserManual.htm
>
> on section 3.2: Design time support

Found it, thanks. For .net 2.0 this is registry key is in a bit
different place but I was able to figure it out from posts in the
Microsoft online forums about design time support for installs in the
GAC. Now I can add the Postgresql data provider components to my Toolbox
and access them.

Thanks for your help.