Re: Avoiding Application Re-test

From: "Asko Oja" <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Avoiding Application Re-test
Date: 2008-08-07 16:47:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It would make PostgreSQL too much like Oracle ;) Let's keep PostgreSQL
simple and compact please.
I prefer applications retest when migrating to new PostgreSQL version. In
this case surprises happen then you expect them not in some unforeseen point
of time in the future.
Keeping all this old functionality around will make maintenance and adding
new stuff harder.
It also complicates tracking problems where in addition to db version you
need to find out what version it is supposed to emulate.