Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function

From: "Matthew Dennis" <mdennis(at)merfer(dot)net>
To: Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Cc: "PGSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function
Date: 2008-08-29 01:10:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com> wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Matthew Dennis wrote:
>
>> Yes, I can see that would indeed be a problem. Are there future plans to
>> start tracking such dependencies? It seems like it would be a good idea in
>> general.
>>

> I believe the EXECUTE statement would thwart such plans.

I'm not sure I follow. Couldn't you track which statements were prepared
that called a function and either reprepare (just like reindex, recheck,
etc) or in the case of dropping a function, refuse to drop it because
something depends on it? Until today, I was under the impression that PG
did track such dependencies (because of the errors I get when trying to drop
functions/views/tables when other things depend on it). It seems to me that
functions, prepared statements, checks and indexes are no different. If
they depend on something, PG should track the depenency.