Re: is copying planetpostgresql content

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is copying planetpostgresql content
Date: 2008-05-26 21:46:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> It seems this wiki is fetching all Planet PostgreSQL content and adding
> anything to their own wiki - without even a link back to planet.
> Any planet link is rewritten to match the wiki structure.

Not sure what you mean by this? EVery article I looked at does link back to
the originating blog. All the links in my article, for example, still work
exactly as I wrote them:

> In addition they change any license to: "All original text is available
> as Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike".

That means any text *not copied from somewhere else* is under CCA-S. In
other words, anything created on their site. Which seems perfectly valid
to me.

> This behavior gives (of course) top positions in any search engine
> result - but i'm not sure that all planet feeds find this amusing.
> Just spoke with Devrim about that and his opinion is to let the
> community decide.

What makes you think that they get "top position" in a search engine result?
Searching for "DBD::Pg tracing" gives my original article as the top result,
with not even showing up at all.

They are simply parsing the RSS feed, and they *do* link back to planetpostgres,
including the "Continue reading" bit, so I'm not seeing this as a really big deal.
If they weren't linking back to PP at all, this might matter, but because they
do, this is actually a good thing and probably helps PP's Google rating.

- --
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200805261738