Re: Strange Behavior with Serializable Transcations

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange Behavior with Serializable Transcations
Date: 2006-06-30 03:19:00
Lists: pgsql-general

"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote

> It can, but there are cases where you want the lock to be taken before
> the snapshot is set. Otherwise, there could be committed changes in the
> database that you can't see in your snapshot. I think there are some
> examples in the manual, or check the archives.

Ok, here are the links:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2002-12/msg00169.php - a bug
analysis of the take-snapshot at wrong point;

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-09/msg00133.php - recent
redesign notes.

Regards,
Qingqing