Problem V8.1.4 - providing pwd for commandline tools doesn't work anymore

From: Alexander Scholz <alexander(dot)scholz1(at)freenet(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem V8.1.4 - providing pwd for commandline tools doesn't work anymore
Date: 2006-05-30 12:24:33
Lists: pgsql-general

The latest version (V8.1.4) breaks the setup process of our
application's installation wizard. We used to call "createdb.exe" and
piped the password for the postgres user (which has been entered by the
user in our setup wizard's dialogs) into it.

With version V8.1.4 this is not possible anymore, the commandline
process prompts for the password nevertheless! This causes our setup to
"hang" (of course it doesn't hang, it waits for the invisible
commandline process to return, which waits for a user input that will
never complete as the user cannot and shall not see these commandline
tools).

Any suggestion? (V8.1.3 and earlier did work fine in this respect.)

Thank you in advance and sorry if this is a (new) V8.1.4 FAQ, I didn't
found anything in this respect.

Best Regards,

Alexander.