Re: [HACKERS] Inconsistent syntax in GRANT

From: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Inconsistent syntax in GRANT
Date: 2006-01-07 10:52:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On 1/7/06, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Marko Kreen wrote:
> > The above table seem bit messy, but I see it as much easier to explain
> > to somebody.
>
> I am confused about your list above, so I can't see how that would be
> easy to explain.

Easy as in "use GRANT USAGE, forget about rest". You are confused
because you know the old way and look them together.

I would have liked to say "the rest are for fine-grained access control",
but with Tom's final proposal, the explanation would continue "SELECT,
UPDATE are for backwards compatibility".

Attached is a patch that fixes tablename->seqname and puts USAGE
as first in list to show it's the preferred way. I think it should
be mentioned somewhere explicitly, but I cant find proper place for
it. In the Compatibility section for GRANT?

--
marko

Attachment Content-Type Size
seqdocfix.diff text/x-patch 2.6 KB