Newbie Questions

From: Redefined Horizons <redefined(dot)horizons(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Newbie Questions
Date: 2005-10-21 22:52:33
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm running the latest stable version of PostgreSQL on a Debian Linux box
running Gnome 2.0. I've just started setting up my first database with
PostgreSQL and I've got a few newbie questions:
[1] Is there a way to determine where all the parts of my defualt
PostgreSQL installation are located?
[2] Can I use the "SU" command to log in as Postgres if I am logged in as a
non-root user, or is this only possible as the root user?
[3] How do I find the Postgres user's home directory, and what is kept
there? (This may be answered as a part of the response to #1....)
[4] How do I ensure that the Postmaster server process is started when I
reboot my machine?
[5] When I'm in PgAdmin III, does it matter if I add a new server as a
non-root user, as the root-user, or as the Postgres user? What is the
difference between the 3?
[6] If I forgot the Postgres user password, do I have to reinstall
PostgreSQL to reset it, or can I do this somewhere else?
Thanks for any help with these questions.
Scott Huey