Re: VLDB Features

From: Michał Zaborowski <michal(dot)zaborowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: VLDB Features
Date: 2007-12-18 15:01:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2007/12/16, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net> writes:
> > But can't we _define_ such a subset, where we can do a transactionless
> > load ?
>
> Sure ... but you'll find that it's not large enough to be useful.
> Once you remove all the interesting consistency checks such as
> unique indexes and foreign keys, the COPY will tend to go through
> just fine, and then you're still stuck trying to weed out bad data
> without very good tools for it. The only errors we could really
> separate out without subtransaction fencing are extremely trivial
> ones like too many or too few fields on a line ... which can be
> caught with a sed script.

I have dump file. I would like to load it ASAP.
Constraints will be applied at the end, so any problem can be detected.
I would like it to be as direct as possible and as bulk as possibe - just
allocate pages and fill them with the data. Maybe it should be different
mode - single user or so. Right now I can save some IO - like turn off
fsync, but that is all :(

I got something like that:
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2007/10/30/WF-Results
I have no idea how to load single file in many threads, but... the point is
that it can be much faster that single-thread load - surprisingly - at
least for me.

--
Regards,
Michał Zaborowski (TeXXaS)