Re: tuplestore potential performance problem

From: "Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tuplestore potential performance problem
Date: 2009-01-15 05:29:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2009/1/15 Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>:

> Has this been addressed?

It is mentioned at

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg01849.php

* Look at tuplestore performance issues. The tuplestore_in_memory()
thing is just a band-aid, we ought to try to solve it properly.
tuplestore_advance seems like a weak spot as well.

but not solved yet. It seems to me that to solve this the tuplestore's
inside design should be changed much. In-file state doesn't use memory
any more but it should be re-used for writing buffer, whereas the
current desgin uses BufFile to do it, which causes tell/seek overhead
for repeated put/get operation. And this is not for 8.4, I guess.

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada