Re: Updatable views: any decent front-ends?

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updatable views: any decent front-ends?
Date: 2005-11-25 15:54:53
Lists: pgsql-sql

Bath, David wrote on 24.11.2005 23:57:
> While I can happily create rules on views to allow inserts, updates
> and deletes, I can't find a GUI front-end that understands that the
> view allows record edits that I can run on linux (whether through X
> or web-based doesn't matter) and simply open the relation and edit
> data without designing horrible forms with lots of code.
>
> I note that MS-Access allows this, as it asks for the field(s) that
> are unique and can be used for updating when you "attach" a table,
> but I don't have (or want) a Windows box or MS-Office.
>
> So....
> 1) Does anybody know of a tool that allows easy editing of data in
> views?

You might want to try my SQL Workbench:

http://www.sql-workbench.net

It will not auto-detect the key columns for updating the view, but it
will allow you to select them manually if needed (for update/delete).
Maybe I'll add automatic detection of the keys in the near future (if I
find the time)

It is written in Java (Swing) and thus should (and does) work on Linux.

Whether it qualifies as "decent" is up to you :)

Thomas