Re: [HACKERS] Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data
Date: 2005-11-05 03:09:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote

> If we were willing to invent the "varlena2" datum format then we could
> save four bytes per numeric, plus reduce numeric's alignment requirement
> from int to short which would probably save another byte per value on
> average. I'm not sure that that's worth doing if numeric and inet are
> the only beneficiaries, but it might be.

I would support "varlena2" from user's applications. Another benefit is for
char types. Many applications are from DB2, Oracle or SQL Server:

Max Char Length
DB2 32672
SQL 8000
Oracle 4000

All of above just need varlena2. To support bigger char types, we could
follow the tradition "long varchar", etc.

Regards,
Qingqing