Re: Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data
Date: 2005-11-05 10:40:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 07:15:22PM -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Other lame aspects of using unicode encodings other than UTF-8
> internally is that it's harder to figure out what is text in GDB
> output and such.. can make debugging more difficult.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I think UTF-16 should be restricted to
userdata only. There's no particular reason why system tables and
indexes need to be in a locale sensetive collate order. If someone
really wants that they can pay for the conversion costs at query time.

The problem is that PostgreSQL doesn't support multiple collate orders,
that's being worked on though.

Have a nice day,