Re: Why database is corrupted after re-booting

From: "Andrus" <eetasoft(at)online(dot)ee>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why database is corrupted after re-booting
Date: 2005-10-27 10:53:15
Lists: pgsql-general

>> Why the corruption occurs ?
>
> Most likely because the IDE was caching the information. IDE drives
> sometimes lie about having caching turned on or off.
>
>> Will NTFS file system prevent all corruptions ?
>
> No.

Joshua,

thank you. Please re-confirm. In the configuration

1. Windows XP
2. QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM20.5 (IDE drive)
3. Write caching is off in XP device manager
4. fsync is ON in Postgres 8
5. NTFS file system

following may occur:

a. Power failure (or its simulation by pressing RESET button) causes
Postgres database to be corrupted.
b. No automatic repair/rollback is perfomed.
c. Only way to bring database back online is to restore from backup

My problem: Sometimes I need also to run desktop (server and client in same
desktop computer) applications with Postgres.
Desktop computer have this config. It is not possible to force users to buy
SCSI drives nor upses for each desktop computer.
Can Firebird or SQLLite automatically recover from power failure?

Andrus.