Re: Access a Field / Column of a resultset by Number

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Schuchardt <d(dot)schuchardt(at)prodat-sql(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access a Field / Column of a resultset by Number
Date: 2009-11-28 06:08:15
Lists: pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Daniel Schuchardt
<d(dot)schuchardt(at)prodat-sql(dot)de> wrote:
> thats exactly the same i'm looking for:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-07/msg00458.php
>
> (todo list for plpgsql)
>
> *Server-Side Languages
> *PL/pgSQL
> *
> *[D] Allow listing of record column names, and access to record columns *via
> variables, e.g. columns := r.(*), tval2 := r.(colname)
> *
> *Re: PL/PGSQL: Dynamic Record Introspection
>

> is that is possible in any pl* language?

Yes, if the language has the architecture to handle it.  plpgsql
doesn't right now.  pltcl, plperl, and plain old C functions can
examine records and do dynamic stuff with them.  Any attempt at doing
dynamic queries right now in plpgsql leads to madness, or so I've been
told.