Re: why is autovacuum still ongoing even if set to off ?

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Costin Grigoras <costing(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: why is autovacuum still ongoing even if set to off ?
Date: 2009-07-31 05:22:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Costin Grigoras<costing(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The insertion rate is ~250 records / second, quite uniformly spread in time
> over ~3000 tables. To reach 2^31 something like 100 days are needed and the
> cluster is less than 10 days old. And we do vacuuming :)

I do believe there are some things that can increment the transaction
count without being an insert.

Also, I believe autovacuum actually logs that it's starting up JUST
because of wraparound, so yeah, that's likely not it now that I've
thought on it.

> Anyway, if for whatever reason autovacuum kicks in, it should at least sleep
> a while between moving to the next table and then it wouldn't be a major
> issue. But the configuration option set doesn't seem to include such an
> option.

Anytime autovacuum is instrusive look at incrementing the nap time to
10 to 20 ms. If that doesn't help then you're already running on the
ragged edge of IO throughput and might need to look into a faster RAID
array or something.