Re: why is autovacuum still ongoing even if set to off ?

From: Costin Grigoras <costing(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: why is autovacuum still ongoing even if set to off ?
Date: 2009-07-31 04:56:32
Lists: pgsql-general

The insertion rate is ~250 records / second, quite uniformly spread in
time over ~3000 tables. To reach 2^31 something like 100 days are needed
and the cluster is less than 10 days old. And we do vacuuming :) So as
far as I understand, the wraparound shouldn't happen. In fact before 8.4
we ran for 3 years and never had any problems, so with a fresh
installation there should be even less...

Anyway, if for whatever reason autovacuum kicks in, it should at least
sleep a while between moving to the next table and then it wouldn't be a
major issue. But the configuration option set doesn't seem to include
such an option.

Cheers,

.costin