Re: Table bloat and vacuum

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jack Orenstein" <jack(dot)orenstein(at)hds(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table bloat and vacuum
Date: 2008-11-12 15:40:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Jack Orenstein <jack(dot)orenstein(at)hds(dot)com> wrote:
> My application is running on 7.4. We have one huge table that drives
SNIP
> We're in the process of upgrading to 8.3.4, so I'd appreciate any
> throughs on whether and how this behavior will change with the newer
> release.

You will not believe how much faster 8.3 is, and how much easier
maintenance is. You'll be like a kid in a candy store for months
looking at and using all the new features in it. The improvements are
enormous. Biggest difference for you is that 8.3 can do vacuums in a
background method (it sleeps x milliseconds between pages), can run 3
or more threads, and autovacuum daemon is on by default. For the most
part, your vacuuming issues will no longer exist.