Re: Heavy postgres process

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vivek_Sharan <Vivek_Sharan(at)infosys(dot)com>
Cc: "Guido Barosio" <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Heavy postgres process
Date: 2008-09-17 14:43:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Vivek_Sharan <Vivek_Sharan(at)infosys(dot)com> wrote:
> Yes that's true and that's planned. We will migrate to Oracle. But as of now need some pointers on solving the problem in hand.

Well, updating to the latest 7.4 version would be a very very good
move. There are some very real and nasty data loss bugs in 7.4.5.
It's an in place update that requires only a few minutes of downtime.

I would guess you've got something like sort_mem set too high.

P.s. If you think PostgreSQL is hard to troubleshoot, I can't wait to
see you running Oracle.