Re: slow update of index during insert/copy

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Thomas Finneid" <tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no>
Cc: "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow update of index during insert/copy
Date: 2008-09-01 20:49:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> dialog box saying this is a bad idea. Now, if it would take you a day
> of downtime to get a dev database back in place and running after a
> power loss, then the bbu may be worth the $200 or so.

I just wanted to comment that depending on how many people depend on
the development machine to get their job done the more easy it is to
justify a battery.

If 20 people rely on a machine to do their job, just multiply their
hourly cost to the company times your restore time for a figure that
will be several times higher than the cost of the battery.