Re: [JDBC] How to just "link" to some data feed

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Albretch Mueller" <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Oliver Jowett" <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [JDBC] How to just "link" to some data feed
Date: 2008-06-04 04:18:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com> wrote:
>> That's essentially the same as the COPY you quoted in your original email,
>> isn't it? So.. what exactly is it you want to do that COPY doesn't do?
> ~
> well, actually, not exactly; based on:
> ~
> http://postgresql.com.cn/docs/8.3/static/sql-copy.html
> ~
> COPY <table_name> [FROM|TO] <data_feed> <OPTIONS>
> ~
> import/export the data into/out of PG, so you will be essentially
> duplicating the data and having to synch it. This is exactly what I am
> trying to avoid, I would like for PG to handle the data right from the
> data feed

I think what you're looking for is the equivalent to oracles external
tables which invoke sqlldr every time you access them in the
background. No such animal in the pg universe that I know of.

> Well, no, but I was hoping to get an answer here because I mostly
> access PG through jdbc and also because java developer would generally
> be more inclined to these types of DB-independent data formats,
> reusing, transferring issues

Removed pgsql-jdbc from cc list. You're still better off sending to
the right list. And so are we. The general list has a much larger
readership than jdbc, and it's far more likely you'll run into someone
with oracle experience here who knows about the external table format,
etc...