Re: Oddly slow queries

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Thomas Spreng" <spreng(at)socket(dot)ch>
Cc: "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oddly slow queries
Date: 2008-04-22 15:25:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Thomas Spreng <spreng(at)socket(dot)ch> wrote:

> I think I'll upgrade PostgreSQL to the latest 8.3 version in the next
> few days anyway, along with a memory upgrade (from 1.5GB to 4GB) and a
> new 2x RAID-1 (instead of RAID-5) disk configuration. I hope that this
> has already a noticeable impact on the performance.

Note that if you have a good RAID controller with battery backed cache
and write back enabled, then you're probably better or / at least as
well off using four disks in a RAID-10 than two separate RAID-1 sets
(one for xlog and one for data).

Test to see. I've had better performance in general with the RAID-10 setup.